Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Ode to Independance Day

Every once in a while I get asked "Where would you be if you didn't live here?" My answer is always the same - Chicago, Illinois!! This usually gets a strange look from people but I spent my early childhood (up to 5th grade) in Wisconsin and Illinois. I have the very best memories of growing up in the quaint little suburbs of Chicago and every once in a while taking a day trip into the city to see Wrigley Field or shop in the giant mall with the tightrope walking bear....but my favorite of all favorite memories is the 4th of July on Butler Lake in Libertyville!!

I remember decorating my bike a few days before in red, white and blue streamers and waking up early that day to get dressed in my patriotic best...and the whole family heading down to the local parade where I get to ride along and get cheered on by our neighbors....than the fam would get a picnic all together (usually including martinelli's apple cider) and head down to the lake where we would get there super early to get a good seat in front of the band shell....we would listen to live bands all night, dance along, run free and then buckle down for the most amazing fireworks show you've ever seen (this according to my 6 year old eyes of course)

(apparently my love of Coke started young!)

I have yet to have an experience like this since...I just feel so warm and gooey when I have this memory and want to recreate that for my own family!! I love the 4th of July and especially since I have my own Marine to celebrate with. I enjoy putting the flag out to remember all the men & women who have fought for our freedom! Thank you to all those who are brave enough to get out there and protect us!!

3 comments:

Anderson Family said...

Happy Fourth of July Meagan! It's one of my favorite holidays too. Love the pic you were too cute!

Zane, Fallon,Taden,Damian and ? said...

meagan nice hair!!! love it! hope you had a fun 4th!

Heather said...

I love it! Happy 4th, we enjoyed spending a little of it with you guys, but I agree nothing beats your chidhood memories of it! Yours were even better than mine and mine were good! :) I loved helping my dad do the fireworks one the street, I'm so sad its illegal now... especially cause we will propbably still do it and then be given a huge fine or something! LOL!